Digestive bitters are a natural and effective solution for improving overall digestive health and are also great for helping to ease more acute digestive flares. They consist of a collection of bitter herbs such as gentian root, dandelion root, angelica root, and chammomile, often blended together into a tincture.
If you’re not already using digestive bitters to support your digestion, here are seven reasons to start today:
- Improved Digestion: Digestive bitters can stimulate the production of digestive juices and enzymes, which can improve the overall digestion process. This can lead to more efficient digestion, which can help you feel lighter and more comfortable after eating.
- Reduced Bloating: Bloating and discomfort are common symptoms of indigestion, but digestive bitters can help to reduce these unpleasant side effects.
- Better Nutrient Absorption: Improved digestion can lead to better absorption of essential nutrients from food. This is important to overall health and wellness. By supporting digestion, bitters can help ensure you’re getting the most out of the food you eat.
- Boosted Liver Function: Bitters have been known to support liver function, which helps to remove toxins from the body. A healthy liver is essential for overall health and digestive bitters can help keep it functioning optimally.
- Balance Blood Sugar Levels: Digestive bitters can help to regulate blood sugar levels which, in turn helps to regulate insulin levels and to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Ups and downs in blood sugar levels are not just an issue for those with diabetes, but are also problematic for hormone balance, weight control, and anyone with increased inflammation levels in their body.
- Relief from Heartburn and Acid Reflux: Bitters stimulate the release of stomach acid, which is necessary for the proper break down of food. Contrary to popular belief, heartburn and acid reflux usually occur due to insufficient acid levels, not too much. When food is broken down efficiently, heartburn and acid reflux occur less frequently.
- Supports a Healthy Gut Microbiome: Digestive bitters can curb cravings for sugar. Sugar wreaks havoc on the delicate balance between good and bad bacteria in the gut, so eating less sugary foods is always beneficial for maintaing balance of the microbiome.
As with most supplements, if you’ve not used digestive bitters before, it’s a good idea to start slowly and build up to the recommended dose over several days to a week.
By improving digestion, reducing bloating, boosting liver function, balancing blood sugar levels, relieving heartburn, and supporting the microbiome, digestive bitters are a great option for not just relieving symptoms of digestive distress, but in actually solving the root cause and fixing the problem.
If you suffer from digestive troubles, you should definitely give digestive bitters a try!