Starting your day off on the right foot is essential for maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. It’s also key for a healthy gut. One way to do that is by incorporating a nutritious and delicious smoothie into your morning routine.
Smoothies are a great to jump up your nutrient intake, especially for those folks who aren’t huge fans of veggies. This smoothie recipe is packed with antioxidants, healthy fats, and a boost of nutrients that support digestion and will keep you fueled and energized all day long. AND it tastes really good – from my experience, that’s not always a given with green smoothies!
- 1 cup organic blueberries*
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1-2 stalks organic celery*
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 organic cucumber*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 scoop vanilla plant protein powder
- 1 scoop greens powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (such as oat or almond)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- broccoli sprouts
(*FYI…it’s especially important to use organic for these ingredients as the non-organically grown versions tend to be high in pesticides)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick, feel free to add more non-dairy milk (or water) until you reach your desired consistency.
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious smoothie! (It can also be kept covered in the fridge for up to 24 hrs.)
Easy-peasy! And oh so yummy!
A few little tidbits about why the ingredients are especially good for you…
- The blueberries in this recipe are packed with antioxidants and vitamin C, making them a great ingredient for boosting your immune system.
- Celery and cucumber are great for hydration and digestion.
- Avocado adds a creamy texture and healthy fats – very important for gut health and inflammation.
- The cinnamon in this recipe also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- The plant protein powder and greens powder provide an extra boost of nutrients, perfect for a post-workout snack.
- The broccoli sprouts and hemp hearts are high in dietary fiber, which will help with digestion and elimination.
It is important to note that if you’re new to smoothies, be sure to start slowly – start with a small glass and work up to more gradually, especially if these ingredients aren’t a part of your regular diet. The ingredients are so great for your body, but the last thing you want to do is overwhelm your digestive system with too much good all at once!
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know – I’d love to hear what you think. And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out!