I’ve heard from several friends this week that they’re feeling like something is sucking the life out of them lately and I have to admit, I’ve been feeling the same way. Not sure why, though…nothing has changed – I’m eating the same, exercising and sleeping – so I’m scratching my head a little, wondering what the heck is going on. I’m thinking that maybe it’s just winter.
That’s a problem because we have a whole lotta winter left to go here in Nova Scotia (she says as she watches the snow start to fall from yet another “disturbance” on its way…)!
It dawned on me this morning that maybe all I need is to change things up a little bit and try to break the rut…so I started my day with a different smoothie! This may sound like no big deal to most folks, but I’m a creature of habit, so it’s a bold move for me. My health started to improve significantly when I started having my Banana Berry Smoothie for breakfast, so I hate to mess with a good thing (as they say, “if it ain’t broke….”). But changing things up now and then is actually better for your body and can help prevent food sensitivities…so here we go.
My new smoothie choice this morning was a Raspberry Mango & Oat Protein Smoothie and it was delicious, not to mention a really pretty color – pleasing to the taste buds and the eye! When I make a smoothie, I like to add as much nutrient-dense foods as I can, without changing the taste too much so my kids don’t complain and will still drink it. I can’t control what they eat all day long, but I can make sure they get started with as many nutrients and much goodness as I can get into their breakfast without them noticing. This one packs a big-time nutrient punch and is a perfect way to start the day. Besides obvious benefits of the fruit, the other ingredients I throw in are:
- GF Oats – a great source of soluble fiber, protein, and iron;
- Maca powder – increases energy, boosts mood, adrenal support and contains calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium and phosphorus;
- The Cultured Coconut probiotic – (my favourite probiotic!) 4 trillion CFU per Tbsp, over 40 probiotic strains, AND made in Nova Scotia – this stuff is the bomb! We add it to our smoothies daily to help support a healthy microbiome;
- Hemp seeds – a good source of protein, fiber, and essential fatty acids, supporting hormone balance and digestion;
- Greens powder – with every color of the rainbow…and the kids don’t even know it! I started adding this to our smoothies because I felt we weren’t getting enough phytonutrients in our diets, especially in the winter. This one has it all in just one scoop!
- Protein powder – provides all the essential amino acids as a complete protein and helps to keep you feeling full longer (and less likely to reach for a sugary mid-morning snack).
- 1 C frozen organic mango
- 1/2 C frozen organic raspberries
- 1 banana
- 1/3 C GF oats
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 scoop greens powder
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 Tbsp Cultured Coconut probiotic
- 2C oat milk (or other non-dairy milk), or water – you can add more liquid if you prefer it to be a thinner consistency