I love egg rolls. I also love Chinese food, but my favourite part of my Combo #17 is the egg roll. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find gluten free egg rolls. For a long time, I just ate them anyway, but I’ve recently decided I wasn’t going to “cheat” anymore, so egg rolls are out.
But good news! I recently found a recipe on Buns in My Oven for an egg roll in a bowl…a gluten free option for my beloved egg roll! I will admit, even though it looked delicious and the ingredients were healthy, I was a tad skeptical about how it would taste – I should note, I’m rather picky about my egg rolls. But I was so pleasantly surprised when I made this recipe because it really did taste like an eggroll…so tasty and healthy! Even my husband, who wouldn’t touch an egg roll with a ten foot pole, enjoyed this recipe.
It’s loaded with healthy ingredients that provide a ton of nutrients we don’t always get in our meals (for example, my husband would never eat cabbage on its own). When I make it, I do make a few modifications to the original recipe: I usually use ground pork instead of sausage becuase I don’t often buy sausage. I also use a broccoli slaw as a different way of eating broccoli (I’m getting tired of boiled or roasted broccoli). You can also easily make this a vegetarian option by just leaving out the pork and adding an egg, or use organic tofu for the protein component. Sadly, my younger kids won’t eat it (yet!), but that means the recipe makes enough to have leftovers for lunch, or dinner the following day. And I thought it was even tastier when reheated!
It’s a super easy recipe (only 10 ingredients) and takes less than half an hour to whip up. I enjoyed it on it’s own, but you can also serve it on top of a bed of quinoa…another powerhouse food!
Ready to give it a try? Here are the deets:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound gluten free sausage (or ground pork)
- 6 cups coleslaw (I use broccoli slaw mix)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon gf tamari sauce (I used closer to 2 tbsp for added taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 C bean sprouts (I added more because of the nutritional benefits of sprouts)
– Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often to crumble, until cooked through. Drain oil from the pan.
– Add olive oil to the skillet and heat for about a minute. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and tamari sauce to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add slaw mix and cook until cabbage has softened and warmed up. Add bean sprouts and stir, heating for another minute.
– Remove from the heat and top with the green onions and drizzle with sesame oil. Stir and serve.
That’s it! Easy peasy, nutritious meal for your family and possibly lunch covered for the next day. For me, besides the bonus of being able to enjoy an egg roll without the gluten, cabbage and bean sprouts are two veggies we don’t eat enough of in our house. They’re nutrient-dense vegetables and are relatively inexpensive, so they’re a perfect addition to any meal!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do…let me know what you think! I’d also love to hear any modifications/additions you made!